Friday, February 28, 2014

My Social Bookmarking Soulmate!

I found who I believe to be my “social bookmarking soulmate” while browsing del.icio.us. Interestingly enough, the person that I found was the former president of del.icio.us when they were sold to Yahoo. I found him by looking up wealth distribution, and he was one of the top commenters on an article I found to be interesting.
            When I first went to his profile, I knew I was encountering a social bookmarking pro. With almost 3,000 public links and 58 followers, this guy had to be a big deal within the social bookmarking sphere. He has over 1,000 tags, but they are each fairly unique and relatively well-organized. You can tell that he must use the filter function well so that he doesn't have to organize perfectly. Some of the tags that confirmed to me that I had stumbled upon a match were “subjective well being”, “income”, “revolution”, “capitalism”, and “morality”. Not to mention that fact that he is a tech/math nerd like me. Sprinkled among his posts on economics are links to sites detailing the Fourier Transformation and String Theory. Academically grounded and socially driven.
            Following the link in his description brought me to his blog, Continuations.com. While there I gathered a couple more pieces of information about who this person was. His name is Albert Wenger and he is a partner at a venture capital firm which has companies like Twitter, Etsy, Tumblr, and Kickstarter in its portfolio. He has a Ph.D. in Information Technology from MIT and is fully engaged in Web 2.0. He has multiple posts each week on his blog, and the posts generate comments and fruitful discussion.
            By looking through his tags on del.icio.us I was able to find a number of good blogs on income inequality. One was on basic income guarantee, laying out what type of political action will be necessary for basic income to be introduced. I will have to reference it when I post later about basic income guarantee. Another intriguing blog I found from looking through Albert’s tags Lane Kenworthy’s “Consider the Evidence.” He has a very intellectually driven blog that dives deeply into the issue of wealth distribution and the pathway to potential solutions in the US. On the blogging end, I might say that Lane is my blogger soulmate. I find myself learning and wishing I spent more time on my own blog after reading his thorough and well-linked posts.        I am hoping to learn from these advanced web users so that I can keep myself at the forefront of content and dissemination of content on the web. To me, the sustained engagement with the web that I see in professional adults reminds that communicating and sharing content over the web is not a pastime of teenagers, but an incredibly valuable tool. Connecting with like-minded and driven individuals can help to promote ideas and growth. I am looking forward to improving the quality of my own blog by serving as a conduit to even more advanced content on the web.

            So why don’t my readers just climb the ladder and take me out as a middle man?  My particular contribution will hopefully be to contribute a naïve but interested opinion that others who are new to the topic can empathize with. I am looking forward to strengthening the network of information presented on this blog so those who wish to dive deeper are in a position to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment